Wednesday, December 3, 2014

This will make me humbled….


Sometimes life takes you in a direction that you have no control over.  No I am not pregnant and nor did someone die, but I did lose my job of six years this past July.

I have not been on my blog for awhile, but now I am back. Today I am going to give you a brief story of what I have been going through since my involuntary unemployment.  In future posts I am going to talk about dealing with the Unemployment Office, searching for jobs and getting interviews, how being unemployed messes with your mental state and any other experiences I encounter. I have been pretty private about what I have been dealing with, but I figured it was about time to share what I have been going through.  This whole experience has made be a bit more humbled than I have been in the past.

I have been a Public Relations contractor for over six years and I have a degree in Communication Studies with a minor in Mass Communications.  Due to contractual issues with our client our contract was put on hold and has not currently been renewed.  I loved my job, I worked harder than most people in my company and I gave my blood, sweat and tears into it.  So when my boss told us that we would be without jobs that next week my heart broke.

We knew it was a possibility and I had been trying to do my due diligence to make sure that I would be ok if we did lose the contract.  I had saved a good chunk of money (which I had been hoping to use for a down payment on a house) and I had been looking for another job.  The job search was harder than I thought it would be and I came up empty handed to find a suitable replacement for my job.

I would also like to add to this story that I found out in early July that the pain I had in my foot/leg was caused by a dislocated Cuboid bone in my foot. The bone became dislocated after I ran my fourth half marathon in May, I did not know that is what it was so I had been walking/running/hiking on a dislocated bone for almost two months which then also led me to have tendinitis in my achilles and peroneal tendons. Running is what I do for therapy and so that I am able to eat yummy food, but one can't run with a dislocated bone and tendinitis so I was forced to stop running for a few months.

It sounded like that the contract issues would be temporary and that we would be back before we knew it.  Okay so this was basically mandatory time off? Most people would think GREAT, but not me.  I am the type of person who works a part time job on top of her full time job just because I like to stay busy. So I forced myself to relax a little…well kind of.  I watched an unhealthy amount of Netflix, read a lot and even flew home to spend some time with my family.  Also I had been applying to any and every job that I could do and getting very few interviews.

Well now it has been five months and our contract is still being pushed back for another reason, I have still been unsuccessful at finding a job, I gained 10 pounds this summer from my injury excluding me from running and then stress eating.  Out of all of this horrible experience, like I said in the beginning I am going to use this blog to write about my time during my unemployment, discuss things that have been good and bad, experiences that I have had, projects I have worked on during this time off and many other things.

I hope that my story reaches someone and see that they are not alone.  Yes this situation we are in sucks hugely and I am not trying to say it doesn’t.  But hey, I’m here, you’re there and maybe we can find some peace in this crap position we are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment