Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pi day + St. Patricks day

Happy St. Patricks day and belated Pi day!  In the spirit of both holidays I decided to make a mint chocolate pie.  On Monday we are having our annual Pi competition (yeah its a lil late) and I decided to make a practice pie today, on St. Patty's day!  I am at least 1/4 irish so I feel as though I have to eat something green and have a beer.  I found a great recipe for a super easy mint oreo pie at http://iowagirleats.com/2010/03/14/st-patricks-day-chocolate-mint-pie/.  

Ingredients:
1 package instant chocolate pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon mint extract, divided
1 1/2 cups cool whip
Green food coloring
12 mint Oreo cookies
1 pre-made Orea cookie pie crust



Take 12 mint oreo cookies...



and put them in a bag and crush them till they are chunky (about the size of a dime)


In a bowl, whisk the milk and the pudding together and until it is blended.  Then fold in 3/4 cup cool  whip , 1/4 teaspoon mint extract and 1 cup of the smashed Oreos


Pour the mix into the pie crust


In a different bowl mix together another 3/4 cup cool whip, 1/4 teaspoon mint extract and green food coloring.  After that is mixed together spread the mix evenly on top of the pie


Top the remaining Oreo crumbs on top of the Cool Whip mixture and chill for at least 1 hour before eating



I hope you enjoy this pie as much as I did!  Hopefully I can keep my reign as cream pie winner in our Pi competition…after winning a pie last year and the last chili competition people are going to expect I know how to cook!  Enjoy your St. Patty's day as well - be sure to have some beer to celebrate the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment