Friday, October 14, 2011

Chili Cook Off Practice!

Every year our building at work does a Chili Cook off and every year I eat my weights worth in chili...well worth it though!  Last winter I bought a crock pot and said I would make a chili for this years Cookoff.  My neighbor Heather made me an awesome White Chicken Chili one day and gave me the recipe and I thought I would give it a try.  Made a few minor changes to the one she gave me and I thought it turned out wonderfully!  So I thought I would share!  Here is the recipe:

White Chicken Chili
1 lb cooked chicken chopped
One 48 oz jar of white beans
One 16 oz jar of salsa (med or hot - depending on what you like)
8 oz shredded monterey jack or Taco blend cheese
One half tsp cumin
1/4 cup cilantro (because I believe everything tastes better with cilantro)
1/4 cup green onion cup up
fajita seasoning
Bag of tortilla chips

Since I am weird with meat I just got two cans of already cooked and chopped.  (Heather got a rotisserie chicken and cut that up.)  I drained and rinsed the chicken and put that in a skillet.  I then put the cut up cilantro and green onion in with the chicken and sprinkled it with some fajita seasoning.  I let that cook for a lil bit.

While that was cooking I got out my trusty crock pot...


Then I added the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot.  I decided to use HOT salsa - and o believe me it gave it a nice kick!



When the chicken doesn't look like it came straight from a can - I then added it to the crock pot.  It should look like this:


I had it cook in the crock pot on the highest temp for about an hour and a half.  (You can make this on your stove top - it is quicker, but doesn't everything taste better if it cooked in a crock pot??)  

When the chili is done serve it up nice and hot and crunch some tortilla chips on the top and ENJOY!


I will definitely be making this for our Chili Cook Off this year! (Wish me luck!)  This is a great dinner idea for a cold winters night or great for watching the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment